God and Environment

i'm writing my thesis about Whitehead's concept of God to interpret one of the Republic Act in our countrymy question is that:how does Whitehead show importance to the ecology especially to the Wildlife species and their habitats?is it true that Whitehead's God is a result of his confusion of his metaphysics?pls help me!!!!

Comments

I'm not sure what you meant

I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence about "the Republic Act in our country," but I think you are asking about the value of species and habitats for Whitehead. Two books that have addressed the value of ecological systems and species from a process perspective are The Liberation of Life by John Cobb and Charles Birch, and Of God and Pelicans by Jay McDaniel. Both describe the differentiated value of organisms in light of complexity. Cobb thinks that all living organisms have inherent value, but nonorganic entities like rocks have instrumental value for the sake of life. I suggest you look at those two books closely. While there is a hierarchy of value in light of complexity, it is also the case that more complex organisms depend on less complex organisms for their very existence. Plakton depend on sunlight and water in a way that water does not presuppose plakton. So a dog has more intrinsic value that a bacterium, but that does not mean a bacterium has no value nor that we could do away with bacteria without having detrimental effects on complex species. As far as Whitehead's God being a confusion, there have been many debates concerning whether God is a necessary element to Whitehead's philosophy. Some, like Donald Sherburne, have tried to reconstruct his philosophy without God, which they find as an unnecessary addition. Overall, there is a general consensus that Whitehead includes God not as an afterthought but as an important part of his thought, particularly as the principle of limitation and principle of novelty. Obviously, much more could be said about this as well as how one can connect Whitehead's God with the endurance of value. Good luck in your thesis, and for prompt responses to questions it is best to email us. Good luck!